DI Team Managers, Team Members, Appraisers, Volunteers & all members of our DI Community,
This has been a uniquely challenging Destination Imagination season for DI Ontario, first with the labour disruptions in our schools, followed by the advent of the COVID-19 outbreak. Over the past month, members of the DI Ontario community have risen to the unprecedented challenge of the COVID-19 pandemic with remarkable generosity, patience and creativity, as we have faced one difficult decision after another.
In light of recent developments and in keeping with recommendations from public health authorities, the Board of DI Ontario is sorry to announce that our PROVINCIAL TOURNAMENT, previously postponed, HAS NOW BEEN CANCELLED.
This has been a very difficult decision, as we acknowledge the hard work and dedication from all of our teams and team managers. The health and safety of all members of our community will always be our priority. it has been so inspiring to hear about all the teams and their fabulous creativity, devising smart and innovative solutions to this season's Destination Imagination Team Challenges. We are so sorry that we cannot celebrate your team’s achievement in the traditional way.
• Our DI Ontario PROVINCIAL TOURNAMENT HAS NOW BEEN CANCELLED.
• The Provincial Tournament Registration Fee will be refunded to all teams that have paid to date. For Refunds, please contact our Treasurer, Ed Song at: email@example.com
• DI GLOBAL FINALS 2020 IN-PERSON EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED. DIHQ will be hosting a VIRTUAL GLOBAL FINALS TOURNAMENT. Full details will be posted on the DI Global Finals website shortly. The Global Finals 2020 Virtual Tournament will be open to ALL DI teams. This includes any teams that did not get a chance to compete in their Regional or Affiliate Tournaments. The Global Finals 2020 Virtual Tournament will not take place in May, but submission timeline dates will be spread out over the summer. They do not yet have those exact dates, but hope to have more information on that soon.
You can continue to follow the latest news about Global Finals here: https://www.globalfinals.org/
• Although Global Finals has moved to a virtual tournament, we recommend and appeal to all teams to PRACTICE SOCIAL DISTANCING AND AVOID GETTING TOGETHER IN PERSON!!!
• DI Ontario 2020 Pins – Are your team members interested in purchasing this year’s Challenge Pins or our 2020 Global Finals Pins? If interested, please inquire & we will send you further details: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Pictures of your Team’s season - Do you have pictures of your team’s DI journey this season? We would love to post pictures of your team, their props, sets, etc. Send them to us at: email@example.com
What should you do with your Team’s props, etc?
If and when school resumes this year, we encourage all teams to showcase their solutions at their schools, or to consider having several schools holding a combined showcase. If you would like us at DI Ontario to be part of a showcase at your school, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Consider holding on to props, sets, costumes, etc for a school or community showcase in the fall –what a great way to spread the news about DI to all of your school & community!
How can you help keep that amazing DI creativity flowing for your teams?
Follow the DI website for virtual DI activities over the next few months as a way to keep engaged with your teams and continue the creative learning process.https://www.destinationimagination.org/blog/virtual-instant-challenge-unknown-structure/
Encourage your team to practice Instant Challenges at home with their family! https://www.destinationimagination.org/blog/instant-challenge-app-for-kids/
As we look forward to the 2020-2021 DI Ontario season, when we will celebrate our 20th year of Destination Imagination in Ontario, we would like to express our gratitude to all of our wonderful Team Managers and Volunteers who have helped to make DI such a success in our communities. It is through your vision and dedication to our children’s future that we are able to continue to grow and share this amazing opportunity with even more children, schools, and families.
We are enormously grateful for the dedication, high standards, and caring of everyone who is part of our DI Ontario community. Each of you is essential to Destination Imagination’s mission — and never more so than in this intense and difficult time. Thank you for all the ways in which you look after your DI Ontario community — and each other.
Please feel free reach out to any members of our DI Ontario team if you have any questions. If you have any other ideas of things that we could offer for you & your teams that you would like to share with us, please feel free to contact us.
Stay healthy. Stay creative. Stay positive.
Creatively Yours, Kim Brown DI Ontario Communications Coordinator/GTA Regional Director
Destination Imagination - Empowering Students to Change the World!